March 12, 2011

Vanilla {Custard} Slice

So this one goes back to my childhood!

I remember mum making it in the kitchen and me struggling to look over the bench to to see if she was done yet! It usually ended in me dragging a chair over to lick the icing!

Vanilla {Custard} Slice
Also known as the "Snot Block" lol

ok so it's not picture perfect but this is me here ... I'm no food stylist
This is called "Keeping It Real" !!

Ingredients

1 litre of Milk
4 Heaped Tablespoons of Custard Powder
4 Level Tablespoons sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Sao Buscuits (2 packets)

Method

Bring 3 1/2 cups milk to the boil in a saucepan
Mix custard powder, sugar and vanilla in a bowl with the remaining milk. Once you milk is at boiling point pour in the custard powder mixture and take off the heat and stir like a crazy lady!

If the custard doesn't thicken enough, return it to the heat and stir like crazy until it does!
You will be surprised how quick this happens! caught me by surprise I tell ya lol

Layer your Sao biscuits in a 25 x 30 baking pan and then pour over the custard,
Then add another layer of Sao biscuits on top!

Let that sit in the fridge say 10-15 min until its pretty firm!
Then make up some PINK icing/frosting and ice away!


You can also make passionfruit icing by mixing 4-5 passionfruits with 2 cups of icing sugar!

This is REALLY EASY to make, plus it was a nice trip down memory lane!
What's something a family member made when you were a kid that brings back the memories?

Enjoy xox

3 comments:

  1. Very nice Mel..(its me, francine)...but if you wanted to make as like a bought one, what is used? Puff pastry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm not 100% sure! I would give it go though it seems the right pastry to use! I'll have to find out exactly for ya!

    Sao's are the EASY option out lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel I can remember your Uncle David making these vanilla slices.... they are the best. The kids loved them.. well done Aunty Sue xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete